Lub-a-Dub-Dub, Three Cords and a Flub

I am currently hooked up to three electrodes that aren’t transmitting anything.

Just for fun.

Not really. I have a wonky heartbeat, and I have for years —too many for me to care to admit, but almost half my life. Recently, a couple of other things happened that I thought were unrelated, and then all of a sudden it occurred to me that slightly swollen ankles and feet and calves and a few extra pounds and a seemingly undeservedly fluffier midsection might all be related to my wonky heart.

And I freaked. The fuck. Out.

I called a cardiologist and scheduled an appointment, for which I had to wait two weeks, which commenced two weeks of freakout. I stopped all alcohol intake and started paying very close attention to sodium. In 24 hours, I dropped four pounds. In ten days, I lost eight. Some of that might have been because I was never home to eat; for two straight weeks of nightly rehearsals and concerts, I sat on stage, squirming on backless wooden benches for hours at a time, singing Mendelssohn and Adams and Beethoven, and monitored my heart, my ankles, my breath control. Was that racing/thumping/tightness because of adrenaline or anxiety or impending death? Did I need to get a spot on the end of the row in case I felt suddenly morbidly unwell? What if the heat of the lights and the crowded space and the all-black concert dress got to me?

I was convinced it was heart failure or cardiomyopathy.

I’m still somewhat convinced.

The swelling has largely abated, and when I finally did see a cardiologist, he seemed to think it might have been a coincidental result of sodium overload paired with cyclical fluid retention. I’m not sold on that theory, but as long as the swelling stays at bay and the weight stays off, I might be willing to believe it. Though I will be super-annoyed at the new tendency to retain water.

I was so scared that when my friend Eliza joined me at the cardio appointment in case he said something devastating and asked how I was doing, I burst into tears.

I was so scared that I was actually thinking about how I would tell my family, what might happen to my house, how long I might still be able to climb the stairs, how long I might be able to work, and exactly how far shy of, say, 50, I might be gone. I was thinking that maybe this is why I don’t have a husband. I was thinking about how I’ve thought for a while now that I will probably die young.

No kidding, guys. That’s what I was thinking.

I even thought about whether, or when, I would blog about it. I thought about my old blog acquaintance, marjulo, who seems to have lost her brief battle with inoperable pancreatic cancer, whose final post was about her diagnosis and whose site no longer exists. I thought a lot about my friend Amanda, just starting her impossible-to-win battle with stage IV metastatic breast cancer, finally finding her fight even though the tumor in her femur still has her in pain and the thought of fighting for the sake of a bunch of months of weekly chemo and then maybe a little time in remission only to be followed by more chemo and less remission is a lot to take.

“Well, of course you think something terrible is wrong with you,” Eliza said in the hospital lobby after the cardio appointment. “Terrible things are happening to everyone around you.”

There was probably something to that.

I had to have a couple of blood tests, and I’m set for a stress echo, at which time they will first try to kill me on a treadmill and then do the echocardiogram I thought was rightfully mine at the first appointment, to find out whether I have heart failure or cardiomyopathy or some other dysfunction greater than the AV1 block and the suspected pulmonary stenosis the cardiologist mentioned at the first appointment. (An AV1 block is a first degree block of the electrical signal between the atrium and ventricle, which, doc says, means it “takes a little longer to get from the lub to the dub,” but isn’t treated; pulmonary stenosis is when the valve between the heart and the pulmonary artery doesn’t open all the way and builds up pressure in the heart chamber as it tries to force blood out to be oxygenated.) My thyroid checked out fine, but my Lyme titer was “indeterminate,” which is the medical equivalent of “Meh… maybe you had Lyme Disease… maybe you didn’t.” Which is basically irrelevant to the situation at hand, but has forced me to schedule another appointment to find out whether I did, in fact, have Lyme Disease once. All evidence to the contrary.

And now I’m hooked up to all these electrodes that are plugged into a gizmo that sends signals to a former cell phone that is now a PDA, and it is all pissing me off.

The first time I felt my heart go weird, I was 20. I was stressing out in a serious way about a married man who had professed his love for me and with whom I did not want to be involved except that I was already kind of involved, not adulterously, but in that way that you get involved with men you work with who say they are willing to put everything on the line for you because their love is just that strong, and you happen to be a total shipwreck in the self-esteem department at the time. I was lying on the couch in my college apartment, which I shared with three of my friends, and Jerry Springer was on, and it was something ridiculous and gross, and I suddenly realized that my life, at that moment, mirrored the show.

Since then, my heart has been skipping beats not with thrills or joys but with impunity. In recent years, it has seemed to frequently trip over itself in an effort to catch up after a dropped lub or dub: lub-dub, lub-dub, lub-dub…lub-lublublub-dub-dub-lub, lub-dub, lub-dub…

I had an echocardiogram something like 11 years ago. I don’t even remember the name of the cardiologist. In fact, I remember nothing about that appointment except for the echo, and the declaration that nothing appeared out of order. And I haven’t had it checked on since. I’m not the annual physical type, so apart from the gynecologist, there isn’t a doctor I see regularly. I’m off the grid.

For the last 36 hours, however, two small devices have been tracking my heart and sending its patterns to a place that then sends it to the cardiologist. I think. Except for the five hours last night during which I got so monumentally irritated by the incessant beeping indicating low battery or poor connection that I ripped the electrodes off my chest, yanked the battery out of the monitor and turned the PDA off entirely so it could charge and I could sleep.

The PDA, which in a previous life was a Samsung Omnia II cell phone, cannot hold a charge. It prioritizes sending data over charging, which means that even if it stays plugged in all the live-long day, it uses up all its energy and dies, which seems counterproductive to a 48-hour heart monitoring system. When it blinks out, such horrendous beeping ensues that I feel like C3PO in mixed-up pieces on Chewbacca’s back. “OMG! DID YOU DIE?! I THINK YOU DIED!!! OH WAIT, THAT”S ME,” it says.

At the moment, it is turned off and plugged in to charge so that my cardiologist can get some idea of what my heart does while I’m sleeping tonight. Since the jumping my heart experienced last night was due to the damned infernal beeping waking me up juuust as I would doze off, rather than its own screwy, jazz-infused rhythm.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, day one of my 48-hour monitoring just had to coincide with Field Day at work. The PDA and the monitor have to be no more than ten feet away from each other at all times, which meant I had to carry the monitor around in the wristlet I use as a keychain/ID/credit/debit card holder the whole time I was swinging from ropes and walking high-wires and hiking around campus, sweating my boobs off, building team spirit with my coworkers. And since I didn’t really want the coworkers to know I was on a Holter monitor, I had to try to be surreptitious about it.

My wristlet is red, b-t-dubbs.

The monitor was clipped to the waistband of my pants, so the work polo I was wearing had to stay untucked. I was relieved to see most others had left theirs untucked, as well, so at least that didn’t seem weird. And happily, the shirt was long enough to cover it even when I had to reach up to swing from ropes like a goddamned Amazon woman.

I managed to keep my monitoring hidden from the coworkers all day. I did not, however, manage to keep the heavy wristlet from smacking me in the face while I clung to ropelines.

You know what blew me in?

The World Cup.

I went home, started writing an essay for my summer class, and had the USA vs. Ghana game on TV. I don’t know much about soccer, so basically I’m all, “Goal is good,” and that’s it. At halftime, The Colombian texted me to tell me to come over. He had one of other other neighbors there, and said neighbor is a bit profanely vocal and demonstrative during sporting events. Javier didn’t think he could handle it alone.

Since I am still very wary of Javier (his relationship with Lydia, however infirm, endures), I let him sweat it out a little while before I went over, armed with my former Samsung Omnia II and its charger, because it was already showing a yellow battery life level.

After our other friend left, and somewhere between the coach’s interview and Dempsey’s interview, I started beeping.

Not the phone, which lay on the windowsill, plugged into an outlet below. The monitor that was attached to me.

Javi did a pretty good job of pretending not to notice that I was emitting electronic sounds from the area of my panties. At least, he did the first four times it went off. And he pretended not to notice when I got up, heaved a sigh, and went into the powder room to check on the monitor.

But finally, after another loooong beep, he said, “Why are you beeping? Whass going on? Why are you stress?”

I’m a terrible liar, so I had to tell him. I thought for sure that this whole I’m-attached-to-a-bunch-of-wires-that-have-been-largely- unsuccessfully-adhered-to-my-midsection-with-steri-strips-all-day-so-that-a-cardiologist-can-keep-an-eye-on-my-heartbeat thing would be a pretty substantial turn-off.

Evidently, I was wrong. Evidently, it translated to a kind of “The Fault In Our Stars With Hearts Instead of Cancer.” Javi told me he had recently spent 12 hours overnight, alone, in the local emergency room for chest pains, and when we hugged goodbye, he tenderly and briefly kissed my neck.

Hope the monitor didn’t notice.

It was so brief that I didn’t even have time to say, “Stop kissing my neck, you South American seducer!” Which is not to say that it’s not still happening in my head, 24 hours later.


Why am I attracted to emotionally unavailable men? It’s a question for the ages. I have been, by all accounts (mostly his and mine, and also Angie’s because she’s heard about them) very clear with him about why his attempts to kiss me (four of them in the last nine months) are absolutely not going to be met with reciprocity because he is still with Lydia. And also, what I haven’t said is that he is to Lydia what Jack was to me, and I don’t need another Jack. He doesn’t know anything about Jack, but I know enough to know I don’t need Javier to be another Jack. On this I am absolutely resolute.

But those shoulders, and the back of his neck, and the way he has to peer over his glasses to see his phone, and the way he looks in a shirt and tie…

Settle down, heart. You’re being watched.




17 thoughts on “Lub-a-Dub-Dub, Three Cords and a Flub

  1. Holy crap, you certainly do NOT lead a boring life. No wonder you have a lub-a-dub-dub! I’m not doctor, but I’ve gotta tell you, if you could handle field day and swinging by ropes I’m sure you’re ok. Anyway, I hope so. Good luck with the tests and all that beeping. Do hope you’ll let us know.

    • The most heart-stressing part of field day was the fear of humiliation. There was no running or real tests of physical prowess other than not falling off/dragging ass on the rope swing. Which I did manage. But trust me, I was keeping a close eye on the ankles to see if they swelled in the heat, which can be a sign of heart trouble. Seemed okay.

    • Thanks! I am a “prepare for the worst” person, so that I can be pleasantly surprised or relieved when it’s not the worst thing. I was seriously, legitimately scared before my first appointment. I’ve calmed down a lot since then, but mostly I just want this echo to be done so we can literally see what’s going on in there.

  2. The great thing about heart stress tests that no one thinks to tell you beforehand, is that the worse shape you’re in, the easier it is -because they want a fixed heart rate (150 bpm in my case). I hope yours was difficult (i.e. in good shape). After reading about your athletic day, my guess is you’d be dead if you weren’t in good shape. I’m sure your heart monitor is annoying but it’s all in a good cause – keeping you healthy. You could design a new sport clothing line for those who have to wear monitors – think of the profits!

    Good Luck! We’re rootin’ for ya!

    • Joy. To be clearer, the field day at work wasn’t all that athletic. There was one point when I had to kind of jog a little, but mostly it was walking, sweating in the sun, and about five times it was swinging on ropes, which was really more about having the arm strength to hang on and the core strength to keep my legs from dragging on the ground. I actually did better with that than I expected. Believe me, I’m not in great shape. I haven’t seen the inside of a gym in at least two years. And even then, it wasn’t that consistent. I used to be so good about it… In any event, cardiac or otherwise, we’ll find out next week!

  3. Ah, drama. Where would we be without it? I have faith that all the lubs and dubs will get with the program again. And I remember marjulo very fondly and her final post. Not to be a huge downer and this WILL NOT BE YOU but she only lived another three and a half months, not the year she thought she had left. I still visit her blog once in a while to “listen to the sunrise”. You are just fine, my friend.

    • I would be out of blog topics without drama. However, I would probably be considerably less freaked out.,..

      I’m glad you told me about marjulo. I have wondered about her since that last post. I am sorry for what she suffered, and for her family, but I’m actually glad she didn’t have to suffer for longer than that.

  4. Drama = blog posts. Maybe that’s why I’m running low on topics. No, not because there’s no drama but because all of my drama comes from my (grown) lids and I’m not comfortable posting about it. Things seem to be OK with my daughter and her husband, the biggest positive being that they spend more time doing things with the kids than ever before. My son is our current issue. I won’t go into much detail but he lives with us and we need him not to. Mental and an occasional dual diagnosis make that harder. It’s kinda weird that I’ve told you the two biggest family events that I’ve never posted about. I guess you are so open in your posts that it invites reciprocation.

    I have spent quite a few hours on monitors because my panic attack of choice is a pseudo-heart attack. And, you may recall, because I passed out on my bike and crashed into a parked car, leading to every cardiac test known to man (with no diagnosis other than must have been heat stroke). Take care of yourself. We don’t blog or comment as often as we used to but I would miss reading you. That’s a bit self-centered, I guess … take care of yourself so I can read your blog. What I mean is … I don’t know what constitutes a friend in this medium but I regard you as one and I’d hate to lose you. Is that better? Interesting that we were both thinking of Marjulo.

    • Hello, my friend. (And yes, we are friends.) I appreciate that you would miss me. It is a mutual feeling. I appreciate that you find me open in my posts – it’s one of the goals I had when I started my blog, and there have been times when I’ve wondered if it was a smart goal. You have always been receptive, and I’m grateful for that. I am sorry that the issues with your kids, and particularly Aaron, remain so difficult, though I am glad to here that things with Amy and her husband are improving (I thought he was a goner when you first mentioned the drama I know of… I wonder if you might wish he were, in spite of everything. You don’t have to answer that.)

      I will take care of myself, and I know you will too – because Muri will be after you to do it! I will find out more on Tuesday.

  5. Hope all comes back fine! (If your heart isn’t at the root of it, maybe have an ultrasound for your legs. Mine started randomly filling up a couple years ago at work (initially prompting me to rush to the ER thinking I had a blood clot) and it turns out I have “incompetent veins.” Apparently that’s a thing.) Anyway… good luck! Keep us posted!

    • Great. Incompetence. That’s what I need. Gah. But good tip – I will see what else it could be if the ol’ ticker doesn’t turn out to be the source of trouble. It’s exciting to find out how many sources there might be. And would you believe Javi says to me today, while we were canvassing for a friend who’s running for office, “Oh! Guess who else was on a heart monitor last week? Lydia! So weird, right?!”

      *eye roll*

  6. The Fault in our Stars with Hearts instead of Cancer. <— Nice.

    I'm sorry you are going through such a stressful and scary time. You tell that heart of yours to behave. No kicking it prior to 50. Didn't you hear? 50's the new 20 or something. So, you just need to keep on beating.

    • Like the heart of rock-n-roll.

      It occurs to me that you might not want to hear about people with mild swelling right now. You have so much ankle-swelling to look forward to!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s